Recipe from Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 1
Makes a 91/2 inch pie or 3 8-inch pies
1 quantity (350g) shortcrust pastry (recipe here)
375g puff pastry
1 tablespoon oil
2 leeks, chopped
1kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
3 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup dry white wine
250g small button mushrooms, halved
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons cornflour
1/4 cup water
sea salt and cracked pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1) To make the filling, cook the oil and leek in a saucepan over medium high heat for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken, stock and wine. Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes or until tender.
2) Add the mushrooms and parsley to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Blend the cornflour and water to a smooth paste, add to the pan and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens and returns to a mixture.
3) Add the salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
4) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
5) Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick and line the base of a deep 24cm pie tin. Spoon in the cooled filling.
6) Roll out the puff pastry to 3-4 mm thick. Cut a shape from the middle of the pastry as an air hole. Place the pastry top on the pie. (I use the shortcrust pastry to cover the top of the pies)
7) Trim and press the edges to seal and brush the top with a little egg.
8) Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes or until golden and crisp.