Makes about 20 3-inch cookies
340g of plain flour, unsifted
230g of unsalted butter, softened
220g of caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp salt
1. Whisk flour and salt in a mixing bowl till well combined. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar till sugar dissolves, about 2-3 minutes on medium speed on electric mixer.
3. Add the egg and vanilla paste and beat till well combined.
4. Slowly add in flour mixture in 3-4 additions and beat on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat till just combined. The dough will be stiff.
5. Divide the dough into 2 or 3 balls and place each ball of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic sheet.
6. Roll each ball of dough till about 5mm thick sheets and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
7. Preheat oven to 175 degree celsius.
8. Cut cookies with your favourite cookie cutters and place on a parchment-lined baking tray to bake for about 12-15 minutes (depending on the size of the cookies) until sides of cookies are brown. The cookies may feel a little soft but will harden as they cool.
9. Collect the remaining dough scraps and roll them into sheets and repeat steps 5 and 6.
10. Decorate with royal icing or sugar sprinkles as you wish.