200g self-raising flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
pinch of salt
140g fine sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degree celsius.
2. Cream butter and salt till creamy. Add in sugar, half at a time, beating well after each addition, till light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add in the sifted flour and baking powder in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions. Start and end with the dry ingredients (flour-milk-flour-milk-flour). Beat till smooth.
5. Fill mixture into greased muffin pans or paper liners, and bake for 20-25 minutes till slightly brown.
6. When ready, let muffins rest in tray for 5 minutes, and transfer to cooling rack to cool.
Note: Original recipe did not call for vanilla essence but I added it for extra flavour. This recipe tends to have a slightly stronger butter taste. If you prefer a lighter butter taste, try adding a tiny bit less butter.