100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
125g caster sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp lemon juice
350g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk
icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. Grease several baking trays lightly with a little butter.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, caster sugar, and lemon rind until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the beaten egg and lemon juice, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into the creamed mixture and blend together. Add the milk and mix into a soft dough.
5. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide into small pieces.
6. Roll each piece into a sausage and bend it to make a "S" shape. (I skipped this step, I used a cookie cutter or roll them into round balls, slightly flattened with my finger).
7. Place onto greased tray and bake in preheated oven at 170 degree celsius for 15-20 minutes. Carefully transfer to a wire rack and let them cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and serve (optional).
The recipe says this makes 50 biscuits, but I made them bite-sized and I got about 90 biscuits.