275g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder (this is correct!)
Pinch of salt
100g caster (superfine) sugar
75g unsalted (sweet) butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 tsp strawberry or raspberry jam
100g unsalted (sweet) butter
150g granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl, and stir through the sugar.
3. In large jug, lightly beat the eggs then add the milk, cooled butter and vanilla extract and beat together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stir gently until just combined. (Do not over mix, its fine to have a few lumps in the mixture.)
4. Spoon half the muffin mixture into the base of each paper case. Top each muffin with a teaspoon of jam. Now equally between each paper case, top with the remaining muffin mixture.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes until well risen, golden and firm to the touch.
If adding topping:
6. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Spread the granulated sugar in a wide, shallow bowl with the cinnamon if using
7. When the muffins are baked, leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Dip the tops of the muffins in the melted butter and then roll in the sugar.