Recipe taken from Donna Hay's Simple Essentials - Chocolate
(makes 12 cupcakes)
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1 1/4 cups (190g) plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
100g dark chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius (original recipe calls for 160 degree celsius, which I found too cool)
2. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
3. Gradually add eggs and beat well.
4. Sift over flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and beat until combined.
5. Fold through the milk and chocolate and spoon the mixture into a 12 x 1/2 cup capacity muffin tins lined with paper patty cases.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on wire racks.
7. Spread or pipe icing as desired.
(Note: I had combined steps 4 and 5 by alternating the adding or milk and flour mixture in 2 and 3 additions respective, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. )